Lead Mechanical Engineer
Our client is looking for a Lead Mechanical Engineer for a permanent position, located in Aberdeenshire.
- The Lead Mechanical Engineer provides and maintains an in depth technical knowledge of static and rotating mechanical equipment to enable effective maintenance and asset care of installed equipment and components.
- To ensure all mechanical maintenance is defined and specified in accordance with legal requirements, industry standards and Company procedures. (detail in person spec)
- When required the role holder will deputise for the Engineering Manager.
- Maintain competence in and ensure compliance to UK legislation, Company policies, procedures and Instructions.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Mechanical Site Accountable Person as delegated by the Engineering Manager.
- Line management of the mechanical support functions allocated to the role by the Engineering Manager.
- Technical accountability for static and rotating mechanical plant and components.
- Focal point for Fitness For Service (FFS) assessments and be conversant with PSSR regulations.
- Provide first line troubleshooting and problem solving expertise for mechanical equipment and components. Lead equipment failure investigation and provide recommendations to prevent recurrence.
- Technically supervise any major intervention (planned maintenance, defect repairs or modification) on mechanical equipment.
- Assume proponent engineer responsibility for class 1 and class 2 projects, as delegated by the Engineering Manager.
- Work with the Methods team to develop maintenance procedures.
- Ensure that mechanical site critical spares are properly defined, stored and maintained.
- Be the site representative for contracts, as delegated by the Engineering Manager.
- Prepare and control budgets as delegated.
- Assist in the long term improvement of site process and philosophies.
- Ensure self and reports are conversant with the Major Accident Hazard (MAH) scenarios identified within the COMAH report. Ensure that training is provided to maintain MAH and COMAH awareness within the mechanical engineering function.
- Responsible for the competence assessment of reports and for the upkeep of associated records.
- Audit and inspect mechanical maintenance or repair activities on safety critical equipment.
- Development and upkeep of the mechanical aspects of the Operational Integrity Assurance & Verification Scheme (OIAVS) to provide COMAH assurance.
- Follow up and close out of safety critical equipment verification findings applicable to mechanical aspects.
- Development and upkeep of the mechanical aspects of the planned maintenance schedule as held on the computerised maintenance management system.
- Upkeep of maintenance procedures to ensure that they are current and reflective of any plant changes.
- Be fully aware of the Emergency Response plan and provide Emergency Response duties as allocated by the Terminal Manager.
- Participate and lead behavioural safety initiatives within the mechanical engineering function.
- Lead process safety initiatives within mechanical engineering function.
- Actively audit standards of work and compliance to procedures on site.
- Identify opportunities to recognise and reward individuals that actively support the continuous improvement ethos and the Terminal of Choice vision.
- Ensure that SMART objectives are set in support of the Terminal of Choice vision and effectively manage the appraisal process for direct reports.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Degree or equivalent qualification in mechanical discipline.
- Senior mechanical Engineering experience & contributions in regulated, high hazard industries (Oil gas, chemical, or power exploration, production or processing.) Mechanical maintenance, compliance, improvement & project work in pressure containment (vessels, pipework), storage tanks and rotating equipment.
- Management of ageing plant.
- Management of Change.
- Auditing & investigations.
- Regulatory compliance and adherence to engineering standards including: PSSR, PSR, LOLER, PUWER, COMAH, and other related legislation.
- SHE systems, ensuring compliance, risk areas & improvement.
- Quality systems, ensuring compliance, risk areas & improvement.
- HAZOP’s and LOPA’s
- People management including performance, competence development & welfare.
- Hours of work – Days. Additional hours as required to meet business need.
- Prepared to travel / stay overnight, to complete role & responsibilities.
- Considers & contributes to appropriate secondments & business projects.
- Be a member of the Site duty rota.
- NEBOSH /equivalent safety qualification
- Management qualification
- Development of KPIs / PSPIs
- Internal audit of standards and procedures.
- Process Safety Management
- Emergency Response responsibilities
- Stores Management
- Budget control & management