Our Client is looking for a Subsurface Manager contract position, location in Aberdeen
The Subsurface Manager will be responsible for maintaining and developing the capabilities of the subsurface team in Aberdeen. The role is also responsible for managing the technical quality and verification of all aspects of the UKBU subsurface work and to provide robust technical challenge to improve production performance and increase recovery from the producing assets. Additionally, the incumbent will provide subsurface resources as required to support petroleum resource reviews, UK exploration and appraisal efforts and business development assessments as required by UK and Corporate Management.
The incumbent will be responsible for interacting and influencing functional and asset leaders within the BU as well as local and corporate management to ensure the appropriate subsurface functional support is being provided and a future resource plan has been developed and agreed with the leadership team. The role will report to the UK Operated Assets and Technical manager with a functional link to the Group Subsurface Manager.
- Ensuring that subsurface priorities and objectives are established and agreed by the UK-based asset managers and the Group Subsurface function.
- Co-ordinate the production forecasting and reserves reporting for all UK assets. Identify opportunities for gains in both areas and work across the BU to make changes happen.
- Ensuring that the subsurface work has been quality controlled and verified prior to Corporate functional review.
- Providing management, technical leadership and mentoring to the subsurface teams.
- Ensure consistency in goal setting and assessment of UKBU subsurface staff through the verification of individual performance contracts.
- Developing a resource and succession plan for the subsurface function for all of the key subsurface resources.
- Responsible for recruitment of any additional subsurface resource to support the BU asset teams in line with predicted activity.
- Liaise with Exploration and BD groups in London to ensure that the appropriate subsurface technical support is provided in line with Corporate strategy.
- Engaging consultants and specialist contractors to ensure that the appropriate specialist subsurface resources are available and applied to the assets as appropriate.
- Look for opportunities to implement innovation and improvement in application of new technology and how workflows are executed.
- Influencing the efficiency and impact of the subsurface function within the Asset-based organisation of the BU.
- Assist exploration in the UK via near field exploration activities & provide appropriate technical support and verification/assurance for any ad hoc business development initiatives.
- Financial Accountability and Dimensions
- Managing the subsurface community through the individual performance contract process, promotion recommendations, improvement plans discussions, succession plans and individual development plans
- Managing the production forecasting and reserve reporting for the BU.
- Management of the subsurface budget.
- Management Relationships (include direct / indirect reports, external parties)
Direct reports (internal employees / external parties):
- Senior Production Chemist, Subsurface Data Coordinator, Operations Geologist.
- Indirect (internal employees / external parties):
- BU subsurface staff, corporate subsurface function and internal BU leaders and externally to regulatory authorities such as OGA, BEIS etc.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Educated to degree level in engineering or earth science discipline
- Masters in a relevant discipline preferable
Skills / experience:
Broad and extensive experience working in the upstream oil & gas industry, primarily focused on production and development projects.
Broad experience of all subsurface disciplines with strength in field development, reservoir modelling and production optimisation.
A proven track record of success in leadership and has managerial experience.
Experience in near field exploration and decommissioning activities would be advantageous Knowledge (e.g. systems, software, procedures, regulations):
Up to date working knowledge of relevant subsurface technical software.
Good understanding of drilling and production operations.
Attributes and behaviours:
Ability to identify, analyse and develop practical solutions to problems and gain agreement with senior managers in the BU, corporate and function Communicates persuasively with senior members of the companyand with individuals at all levels across the business and outside the wider Oil and Gas industry.
Builds and manages mutually beneficial partnerships and networks, both internally and externally, to create opportunities for the company. Works effectively with senior management colleagues and seeks opportunities for enhancing the effectiveness of teams.
Creates an environment where people are motivated to achieve client's objectives and enhance their own performance. Puts systems and strategies in place to develop people at all levels across the company identifies opportunities to increase organisational capability and capacity through people.
Confident to interface, influence, manage and direct others both within and external to the company, interfacing at all levels to both obtain approval for proposed activities and deliver required outcomes Supports, promotes and implements change. Encourages the adoption of new methods and overcomes barriers to acceptance.
Manage confidential information with appropriate sensitivity A bias for action and a passion for maximizing recovery from reservoirs.